It’s Macca’s birthday and the gentleman just turned 70 years old! You see, even though he’s my least favorite Beatle, he’s one of the Beatles, which makes him one of my most favorite people in the world. I don’t know if that makes sense to you, but I understand me.
So in honor of his birthday, first thing in the morning, I played “Birthday” by the Beatles. (I also played that on my birthday, it made me feel like they were wishing me a Happy Birthday.)
We all know that Paul’s the one who sang Hey Jude, Yesterday, Blackbird & Let it Be, some of the most FAMOUS songs by the Beatles.
But today, I wanted to tell you about the stuff not many people know about Paul McCartney.
1) He loved to read the tabloids about himself so he could “learn what I am doing these days”. I find that so cute.
2) He wrote the song “Hey Jude” about John Lennon’s son Julian Lennon when John and Cynthia were divorcing. I think originally, it was supposed to be called “Hey Julian” but then they changed it to Jude.
3) Paulie’s left-handed. Well that’s known, but what’s cool is that he re-stringed a right-handed guitar into a left-handed one and then learned to play that way.
4) He owns the rights to the Buddy Holly songs. I had no idea!
5) Paulie wanted to be an English teacher. Well aren’t we glad you didn’t, sir?
6) Paul was the last of the Beatles to try LSD.
7) In his song ‘Let it Be’, Paul McCartney was talking about his mother (whose name was Mary), appearing to him in a dream, telling him everything will be alright. You know the part, “When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, whisper words of wisdom, let it be”.
8) One of my favorite Beatles’ songs “Martha My Dear” was about Paulie’s sheepdog Martha. When you first hear it, you imagine that he’s talking about a girl, but now that you know he’s talking about his dog, it makes much more sense.
9) The original title for “Yesterday” was Scrambled Eggs. The first line was supposed to be: “Scrambled eggs, oh, my baby, how I love your legs.” LOL
10) His first name is James, not Paul.
11) Paul McCartney is a Vegetarian.
12) He is the only Beatle to have graduated from Britain’s equivalent of high-school.
13) He appeared in the Guinness Book of Records for his song “Yesterday” listed as The Most Covered Song in History with over 3000 existing versions.
14) Paulie is a knight of the British Empire.
15) At the age of sixteen, Paul wrote the song “When I’m Sixty-Four” for his father’s 64th birthday.
16) At 5′ 11″ (180 cm), Paul McCartney was the tallest member of The Beatles.
17) According to Guinness World Records, Paul McCartney is the most commercially successful songwriter in the history of popular music. However, he has never been able to read musical notation.
18) Paulie’s got a minor planet named after him: discovered in 1983, the minor planet 4148 was named “McCartney” in his honour.
…And this is one of my favorite Beatles’ songs of all time, Another Girl, which was sung by Paul McCartney: